Tuesday, October 23, 2007

The Cognitive Style of PowerPoint

I found it incredible that NASA engineers found nothing wrong with Columbia after evaluation of the PP slides. All the information was there; all the engineers had to do was attentively read the slides. Apparently PP had corrupted their minds, because they saw nothing wrong in Columbia after reviewing the reports. They are engineers, is it not part of their jobs to attentively read? I just find that incredibly strange.

I assume this is a fairly wide-read essay, after reading Tufte's credentials on the back. Thus, I am curious if Microsoft (or any software company for that matter) has taken his suggestions to heart, and attempted to create the perfect word processing and visual presentation program based on what he finds wrong with PP. He is a recognized professor, so I believe it's possible.

Also, I wonder if Microsoft reacted at all to this writing being published. What were their thoughts? Did they simply say, "Poor PP presentations are the result of poor PP users," again, and leave it at that? I thought it was interesting when Tufte mentioned, "Only monopolies can blame consumers for poor performances." I suppose it's true; Microsoft has a monopoly going with PP being the definite way to present visual information.

The last thing I wondered after reading Tufte's essay is if I had ever seen an A3 handout (11x17 inches). It seems like a great idea, if this is the quintessential way to present information at a high resolution. However, I don't believe I have ever seen that. Perhaps, the next time I have to create a presentation, I will use size A3 handouts.

No comments: